The school had a problem - the girls were doing better and the boys were falling behind educationally. The programme follows my attempts to turn the boys around and get them reading, writing and debating.
Because I'm known as a choirmaster people imagine that I don't do anything else, so this programme is a bit different from the rest. There is singing and acting in the third episode, but the focus is education - with a difference.
Some of the boys were very behind in their reading. It was deeply affecting and difficult to know how to help. I wanted to engage them with new, challenging activities. We end up reading books around a forest campfire, re-enacting Roman battles and writing a play from scratch - all in the name of literacy! I do feel that too much 'cotton-wooling' is damaging for a boy's sense of self-belief, and I found that if I gave them responsibility to step outside their comfort zone they really rose to the challenge.
Do tune in and watch the show - it's on BBC Two and UK viewers can catch up with episodes on the BBC iPlayer. I've written more about Extraordinary School for Boys on the BBC TV Blog. It's proving to be quite a controversial topic and a lot of people have commented on my article. You can also discuss the series on my Facebook page - I'm geniunely interested to read what people think, so do join the debate!
Update 15th September 2010: I was interviewed on BBC Breakfast about Extraordinary School!
Update 15th September 2010: I was interviewed on BBC Breakfast about Extraordinary School!
8 comments:
Such an inspirational series! I know boys just like these and I hope I can use some of the ideas in the programmes to inspire them too. I really enjoyed watching and was thrilled for you when the project was such a success. Thank you for doing this!
Great progamme and it obviously worked......but I also think having a male teacher had a lot to do with it and we need more in primary schools
Hi Gareth
It was a lovely series and good to see these active approaches used and shared widely.
What is encouraging is that there are lots of schools all over the country doing this sort of thing - perhaps not quite with the same pizzaz and pressures, mind.
I've just come home after a lovely in-set with 30 teachers doing literacy in the woods and the teachers had some super ideas (I kept thinking I was a bit redundant really). Changes are happening, even if you have to look with a magnifying glass sometimes.
Best wishes
Juliet
Hi Gareth
Congratulations on the birth of Esther.
I have been really enjoying your Extraordinary School for Boys series - so much to think and write about.
I have a blog at www.saffiafarr.com and lots of people (currently 42 comments on one post) have responded with really thought provoking comments. I would love you to take a look as there is a lot of praise for you - Gareth Malone you are our hero they write!
I have been watching your programme with great interest as my son left Pear Tree Mead 5 years ago.
If only all the teachers were as inspirational as you. I fought for extra reading and handwriting lessons for my son but it fell on deaf ears.
At the age of nearly 16 his handwriting is terrible and he never reads which is a shame as he is missing out on reading so many brilliant books and his lack of neat handwriting will affect him in the future.
An inspiration that excelled in proving that engaging children with other learning methods outside the general school curriculum works! I don't have children & my calling is to be a teacher, however I can't afford the training! Gareth your enthusiasm, determination and success brought a tear to my eye - well done, more TV please...
As an old special needs teacher, your comment, I felt you were much more a teacher than some of those that appeared on the programme. I also applaud you in the way you handled the incident with the lad who refused to participate in the writing episode. You dealt with the matter decisivly and appropriately. The lad needed to reflect on his behaviour and acknowledge your authority. I say very well done gareth, you brought teaching back from the doldrums where creativity has been squashed for years.
Hi
I have 2 children - a boy and a girl. Both children have cerebral palsy. This of course impacts on their learning. Both are behind in literacy and maths especially reading.
I watched your programme with interest - what first struck me was how much the learning in my daughter's primary school has changed since my son was there. They have forest school, and small appropriate classes for literacy & maths.
My son is at senior school, but still struggles with reading, would love any tips.
Food for thought:
Some of the outdoor stuff - camping - can be done with the Scouts.
Also my daughter would love the outdoor, acting way of working, but my son would be less keen so is it less about gender and more about learning styles?
Anyway if I could increase my son's reading age by as much as the boys in the programme I swould be so grateful.
Well done for a great and thought provoking programme.
Post a Comment